Monday, March 19, 2007

Rant



Has someone ever asked you to make them something only to cough when you quoted a price? This happened to me last Christmas. A lady that works with my mom had asked my to make a doily for her mother. I normally dont take orders but thought it would be some extra cash for the holidays. I quoted a 15 inch doily for 25 bucks. Which is really cheap. I knew that too. The lady coughed at that price. And, I was fine with not having to make it.

Fast Forward to today. She gets my mom to ring me and ask if I would be willing to teach a crochet class for the community center in her town for F R E E. She wanted to ask me since " I was the best crocheter she knew of ". Excuuuuuseeee me? You try to rip me off at Christmas and now you want me to teach a class for you? Um. no. Maybe I am being unreasonable, or even arrogant. But, my time is worth money. I have a family. I have a job. I have a semi-life (lol). If you think I am "that good" why not compensate me. Especially since I dont live in your town and would spend even more time and gas driving there...for free. moral: don't help people, when they don't want to help themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I hate this part of it-my mother and her cronies tend to do the same thing to me and I just tell them, it takes time and it takes yarn and I need to be paid for both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! That is ridiculous. I come across similar situations especially since I'm the only lone crocheter around. I get asked to crochet all kinds of lavish stuff and they don't like my prices- trust me they are dirt low......people are shocked if I ask for $7 for a 12 inch doily. It's funny that they'll buy the same thing in a store for $ 20- 25.

    ReplyDelete

And, your thoughts about this are?