Monday, January 15, 2007

Problem with Rose of Erin Doily


whirlwind complete, with correct number of loops (85)
you can find this pattern link here.

There is not alot of info out there about this pattern. So, I thought I would post what I have found out, and maybe help someone else along the way.

The Rose of Erin doily is an old Irish crochet pattern. The copy I am using dates back to 1953. Back then it was assumed that everyone knew how to make things "work". The problem with the writing of this pattern is that at the end of the pinwheel section you do NOT have the number of loops indicated on the pattern (85 loops). I had 70. Therefore, to make the pattern "work", you would need to increase 20 loops in the final round instead of 5 as it calls for. I wish there were a cheat sheet of sorts out there to help with those older patterns. If you know of one, please let me know.

So, after researching it I have completed the pinwheel section with the right number of loops. I'm scared of the roses section, wondering what problems await there. It always made me wonder why there are only 13 roses instead of an even number?

3 comments:

  1. Hi!!!!
    I finish my calla lily doily,look my blog!!!
    Thanks for the site, but I´m crocheting a copy...
    kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on finishing up this doily! It does seem strange that there are 13 roses.....I avoid old patterns just because they expect you to be able to make things work and I'm way too anal of an accountant for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try and contact Homeburrough and see if she has any clues. She's done tons of doilies and I consider her the "expert"

    ReplyDelete

And, your thoughts about this are?