From south of the border again.... I'm giving a shamless plug for one of my fav recipe books " Hopkins Healthy Home Cooking". Some recipes in it are great, some are just plain wrong. Healthy eating is one thing, trying to make a tuna salad without tuna and hiding califlower in it is wrong... ok back to the recipe. I've made this a dozen times, its easier to get a friend split the cost of ingrediants and make it TOGETHER. an a-1 recipe tho and you can always half the ingrediants and make a smaller amount. ok here we go veggie enchiladas:
This makes 2 9x13 pans.
Enchilada Sauce:
6 tablespoons chili powder
2/3 c whole wheat flour
4 tsp vinegar
2 tsp each: garlic powder, oregano, salt
8 cups liquid (water, stock, etc)
Filling:
1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
OR
1 lb black beans, cooked and drained
2 (16 oz) cans kernal corn, drained
3 carrots, diced finely
1 medium zuchinni, diced and steamed
1 large red onion, diced
1 (6oz) can sliced olives
2 c. finely chopped tomatoes
1 tsp of each:cumin, salt, chili powder
grated pepper jack cheese
Tortillas (corn or flour) I use flour
Cook beans, or use store bought in a hurry. Set aside. Steam carrots, and onion until tender, adding zuchinni for the last few minutes. Take off heat and stir in corn, olives, tomatoes, and spices. Prepare sauce by mixing all ingrediants in a saucepan and simmering over low heat until thickened. Do not cut back on chili powder in the sauce. It really isn't hot tasting, but is necessary to give the sauce color and flavor.
Now to assemble: Mix beans into carrot mixture. DO this just before asembly otherwise the beans will tint everything black. Spread a layer of sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Dip tortilla in sauce to soften and lay in dish. Scoop filling into a line dow the center of tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and roll up. Pour sauce over the top, and sprinkle more cheese.
I don't roll up the tortillas. I place a few on the bottom and layer this stuff like lasagna. Its faster, and tastes just as good. When I'm in a hurry, I buy the enchiladas sauce. A tip from my mexican friend: try to find el pato sauce. Some grocers have it. I know the save a lot store is the only one around here that does. Its in a large red can with a duck on the front. It is the most authentic sauce in the markets.
Have a great Friday ya'll!
Friday, May 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I have tried lots of enchiladas sauce recipes but with no success. I am excited to try yours.
ReplyDelete