Thursday, May 11, 2006

Freezer Jammin'



Today was such a fun day! Once a year I make freezer jam. There is a strawberry farm not far from here and they only hit the peak season one month out of the year. This just happens to be the month. I phoned the owner and requested 5 gallons yesterday, bought the supplies and commenced this morning in my yearly ritual.
It took about 3 hours to complete the process. And, now we have a year's supply of red berry goodness, again. After you make your own, you never go back to store bought. There are just certain things better homemade. Freezer jam is one of them.
I ended up with 16 pints, 12 jelly jars, 16 half-pints of strawberry heaven. Saturday morning, we'll make hot buttered biscuits and have a spoonful of this jam with them. MMMMmmMmMM! Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous-stuff looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love frezer jam and you are right..some things are better homemade..and I think all jams are one of those things.
    I love the fresh fruit flavor of freezer jams..
    Here in the Pacific Northwest, our strawberries will not be ripe for several more weeks. I am awaiting the season to go u-pick with the little one. I am going to make freezer jam and regular jam, as well.
    Just looking at your pictures is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete

And, your thoughts about this are?