Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Knitting? Say what...

Ok. Its hit me again. I want to knit. I know how to make a stockinette stitch, and that other basic stitch that I forget the name of. Heres my question. If you were a n00b at knitting, what would be the first project you would tackle? I want to make a pair of socks. I just know they would feel amazing. I'm to the point of trying to trade a doily for a pair of socks! Anywho, I figure there has to be a starting place, and I'd like to try again. Knit wearables are so cute. You just can't do that with a crochet hook. I'll forever be a crochet girl, but I'd like to haev a one night stand with a pair of knitting needles....

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, I want to know how to knit..

    Sorry I have no answers but if I could knit I would so jumo at a chance trade socks for one of your doilies....

    BTW, I love your MEEZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can knit and I've even made some (shabby worsted weight) socks But I'm with you, I'm a crochet gal and always will be. I'm never going to be able to take on the kind of patterns in knitting that I don't even think twice about in crochet. OOO! Wendy would be a great person to ask about knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm there too! I've got the stockinette and garter down but want to do more. I'm trying that Garterlac dishcloth that was so popular a few months ago. I tried it back then and just wasn't getting it but now I feel the need to conquer it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd practice with dishcloths. They are small and if you make a mistake it don't matter like it would on a scarf. Most people, once they have the hang of it, find knitting easier than crochet, there are only two stitches and it's obvious which way you are working...you know the drill with crochet, how many loops?, which is the right side?

    When I finish the top I'm knitting I'm going to learn the continental style. It looks quicker with less wear and tear on the wrists, maybe we could all try together? I know there are online vids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only know those two basic stitches as well. Very complicated stuff knitting is. I especially use to hate dropping stitches. With that said there are alot of podcasts with pretty good directions. You don't need an Ipod to get them.

    It would be great if we could form a group of beginners, and share our misery as well as accomplishments.

    I'm still a die hard crocheter myself though, and you can't change that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i learned to knit just so i could make socks.(crocheted since i was 3) my 2nd project after a scarf was a sock :-)there are 2 needle knit flat socks that you seam if the whole knitting in the round freaks you out still. but knitting in the round means stockinette without purling :-)
    crochetme.com has a fairly decent crocheted sock pattern...
    i would be willing to trade socks for a doily :-) but not til after summer knitting...too many obligations at the moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dishcloths and scarves then tackle socks. I've made (LOL!) two socks or should I say, two halves of socks. I've gotten to the heel flap. They aren't terribly difficult but if I hadn't made as many dishcloths and scarves as I had I don't think I would have had the confidence to try the socks.

    The videos over at knittinghelp.com have been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone...dishcloths. Some of the easier ones I found were the dishcloths with the designs embedded in them. I'm a newby also and socks were not very hard once you get your fingers right. Check out this site
    http://www.purpleduckie.com/butterflypatternpage.htm
    Also a good book I learned how to do socks was LEARN TO KNIT SOCKS BY EDIE ECKMAN. I'm teaching myself to to baby socks by the same lady. The book is actually in booklet form and you may find it at Joann Fabrics. Or just google it. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete

And, your thoughts about this are?